Can't Access Your Rental to Assess the Damage from Irma? File Anyway!

Posted by Alyssa Tomashek on Sep 22, 2017 3:30:00 PM

glasses, calculator, and pen on top of paperworkBy now most of the flood waters from Hurricane Irma have receded, however there are still areas with standing water or debris blocking entry into properties. If you’re unable to safely access your investment properties to assess the flood and wind damage, you may think you must wait to file your claim until you can obtain pictures to submit. Good news - you don’t. 

File Now, Add Pictures Later

You can file a written notice of your claim as soon as you’re aware of damage to your property, even if you don’t know the extent of the damage, and submit pictures later when you're able to capture them. Besides, with the onslaught of claims being filed, it will likely take days for an insurance adjuster to arrive anyway. That aside, the sooner you file your claim, the sooner you get your money, the sooner you can fix your damaged rental property and the sooner you can get back to normal.

Pro Tip: Hire a public insurance adjuster

When you file a claim, your insurance company will send out one of their adjusters to calculate the damage, so why would you want to hire a public insurance adjuster to file a separate report, too? Well, these adjusters work on commission, usually about 10%. If your insurance company’s adjuster says the damage to your property is $100k and the public adjuster evaluates it as more, the public adjuster will get paid (10%) of any increased amount paid to the insured (you) over the original $100k. The insured walks away more than the original quote of $100k.


  • Insurance company adjuster reports $100k
  • Public adjuster reports $130k
  • Insurance company pays $120k
  • Public adjuster makes $2k (10% of 20k difference)
  • Insured receives $118k, $18k more than they would have without the public adjuster

Related: What are your legal obligations to your tenants post Irma?

Topics: Hurricane Recovery

Most Popular

Disclaimers: Please note that our blog contains affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, Visio Lending will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please understand that we have experience with all of the companies we recommend, and choose to refer our borrowers and partners because they are helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions we make. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.


The information in this blog has been prepared solely for informational purposes. The contents are based upon or derived form information generally believed to be reliable although Visio accepts no liability with regard to the user's reliance on it. For legal advice, please contact your counsel.